Sunday, January 24, 2010

picking a project.

Over the past week, I've looked at countless craft sites. I found a lot of products that were awesome, some stores I can't wait to go to (especially Renegade Handmade in Chicago) and I've read a lot about skills that I definitely don't have.

It took a lot of searching and plenty of conversations with friends to figure out what I want to make over the next few months. Plenty of ideas came to mind, but none sounded satisfying and fun.

One of my sisters suggested knitting or crocheting. Too boring. My friend suggested sewing. I only want to learn that from my mom, but she doesn't live in Bloomington. Someone recommended cooking, but I've worked in a restaurant for the past eight years... And the list goes on.

Eventually, my other sister said I should make felt appliques. Right away, I knew she was on to something. My mind drifted off into a Candyland-esque place, filled with mounds of ribbons, buttons and fabrics, bright colors and various patterns.

I'm really excited to start this project. My sisters and my mom are both really into craft projects, and my house has been filled with tons of them for as long as I can remember. Making these appliques will give me a chance to bond with them.

Also, I'll use my hands to create something tangible over the course of the semester and will have learned some new skills while doing it.

That said, I now want to make practically every pattern I see. But I have to start somewhere, so yesterday I bought "100 Applique Motifs: Projects, Techniques and Templates" by Deborah "Ismoyo" Green.

Now, it's time to start reading...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very cool. I can't wait to see what kinds of things you come up with. It's awesome to hear that this project will help you bond with some of your family members. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete