Sunday, February 7, 2010

shopping.

Yesterday, I went to Hobby Lobby to buy all of the supplies for my project. I decided to make baby bibs with different animals on them (1 monkey, 1 elephant and 1 giraffe). I bought a plain bib to use as a pattern and some cream colored fabric for the actual bibs. Then I bought 1 solid color and 1 pattern for each animal. After getting a different color embroidery thread to match each of the animals, I had to figure out what tools to buy.

I ended up with some adhesives that I will have to stick to the back of the fabrics before putting them onto the bibs. After ironing them, it will help the fabrics adhere so that I can just whip stitch the animals on. That means that I can hand sew, which will add some color to the animals and reinforce the adhesive. My stitching, however, doesn't need to be very tight or close together since the adhesive should hold the fabrics together pretty well.

I also had to buy new scissors, a seam ripper and a marking pencil that washes out of fabric. Once I got back home, I realized I forgot to buy Velcro to put on the bibs. I won't need it for a few weeks though, because that will probably be the last step in the process.

Over the next week, I have to go to the laundromat or a friend's house to wash the fabrics to make sure they shrink before I cut out the patterns. I also need to find animal patterns that I like and figure out what size they should be.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very creative idea. I look forward to seeing the final project. Hobby Lobby definitely seems to be the place to find all craft supplies. I also got my supplies from Hobby Lobby as did another girl. I hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete